Driver Experience with Austin 1
4th Sep 2021
Four places are available on each date, Saturday 4th September and Saturday 18th September.
Details are still being finalised but will include:
- Commence at approximately 0800 hours with a welcome and safety briefing
- Introduction and familiarisation with the locomotive, preparing it for the day including oil and grease the loco.
- Driver familiarisation with each candidate having a short run from the yard up to the advance starter and back to get used to the regulator and the brakes. Loco will then couple to the passenger stock.
- Each candidate has 1 trip driving and 1 trip firing. Two people on the footplate and the other two will either ride with the guard or riding in the passenger with their guests in a compartment. Maximum of four guests per driver.
- Lunch will be in our RMB buffet car. Meals and drinks will be provided for the drivers-only.
- Each candidate has 2 trips driving and 2 trips firing the freight set. The two people not on the footplate will ride in the Queen Mary brake van with the guard or you may have a visit to the signal box.
- Loco uncouples and returns to yard for disposal.
- Photograph session, award of certificates and presentation with a commemorative mug.
If you have any questions, please send an email to the [email protected] email account
Working on the footplate of a steam locomotive can be physically demanding, candidates should be in good health and be able to climb up and down steps in order to access the footplate. Suitable clothing, overalls and safety shoes/boots must be worn on the footplate of the locomotive.