This vehicle has had a complicated life, starting as a 20 ton Brake Van, built by the Great Western Railway at Swindon in 1904, to Diagram AA.2, Lot No. 464. It was known as a ‘Toad’ for telegraphic purposes. It was subsequently converted to a 25 ton Staff/Tunnel Van, becoming a Departmental Vehicle DW 17639 and then acquired privately. It was berthed at the Swindon & Cricklade Railway until coming to Midsomer Norton in 2006. Here, it languished for a while until is was agreed to restore/redevelop it as the Permanent Way Mess Van. This work was completed in 2014. Rumour has it that it worked on the demolition trains through Midsomer Norton.